The Creative Director leads all aspects of Visual Design within a Method studio, and provides leadership, vision, and support for the Method Visual Design team. S/he ensures that Method’s Visual Design practice exceeds the highest industry standards, while attracting and retaining the best designers. The Creative Director champions the integral values of Design Thinking, Visual Design, User Experience Design to help guide the vision of our client engagements, company communications, and studio culture.
The Creative Director works closely with the studio Directors to define and evangelize industry-leading design practices, speaks to those standards within the studio, collaborates across geographies to define practice standards, and advocates Method’s position within the industry at large. The Creative Director will also act as a conduit between various groups of people including other Method studios, the executive leadership team, and the Experience Design team. The Creative Director will assist all disciplines in strategically translating the direction of a client’s business, brand, service or product into creative solutions.
- Oversee the development of creative; combining strategy, interactive and brand design, creative content and technology.
- Practice brand stewardship to ensure creative deliverables are representative of the project goals and brand values.
- Stay abreast of internal design reviews (across key engagements) to maintain quality and mentor the design team. Use this knowledge to provide senior-level design guidance across the disciplines.
- Partner with the studio MD and Creative Leadership team in hiring, mentoring, supervising and guiding creative team members to fulfill their full potential.
- Participate in new business pitches to win new, and extend existing client relationships. Advocate to sell creative work that inspires the studio and builds our portfolio. Critically evaluate potential new engagements for appropriate fit.
- Support the MD in planning, and managing expectations with clients, client partners, and project managers to staff projects with pertinent skill sets and experiences.
- Partner with the MD and studio operations in working with the Engagement team on project pricing, team utilization, realization, expenditures, and staffing issues.
- Continually explore opportunities to enhance, improve, and expand Method’s methodologies and service offerings. Work with studio leadership across geographies and disciplines to establish and evolve design processes.
- On key engagements, facilitate work-sessions for clients and the design team.
- Help to diffuse problems and put forward solutions that are in the best interest of the company and employees.
- Maintain constant communication with the Executive Leadership team to raise studio issues and concerns as they pertain to performance issues, work quality and work processes.
- Continually enhance Method’s knowledge of the design industry and competitive landscape.
- Work closely with other directors across disciplines to coordinate departmental methodologies. Educate the studio about the value integrated design thinking as it applies to all disciplines. Evangelize the perspectives of the various disciplines to foster integration between the Experience Design Team and the studio as a whole.
- Develop and represent your personal point of view internally and externally. Share this POV at industry events, conferences, and through online forums such as blogs.
- Lead the development of the studio’s culture and quality standards from the design team point of view. Foster interpersonal relationships through ongoing conversations and team building activities.
- Proven experience building, managing and sustaining successful teams.
- An exceptional portfolio showcasing innovative design solutions.
- 10+ years experience in design consulting, spanning multiple industries and following project types: print communications, brand & identity, web experiences, interactive web applications, and product interface design.
- BFA in Graphic Design, or equivalent experience
- Exceptional communication skills (both in conversation and in writing), especially focused on pitching, running work-sessions, and articulating and defending design decisions.
- Proven track record partnering with multiple disciplines on projects and practices
The people that thrive at Method are curious, empathetic, rigorous, experimental and appreciate a holistic way of solving design problems in collaborative teams through rapid prototyping. Method’s culture is a meritocracy in which small project teams collaborate across multiple departments and, in many cases, across offices and time zones. We seek patient and friendly individuals who are smart, curious and opinionated; individuals who have the ability to proactively develop points of view across categories for an ever-changing product and service development environment. But we also seek those that have the ability to listen, to consider other opinions, and who are able to work well with others. At senior levels, we seek managers who can take direction as well as give it; who can lead projects as well as produce design solutions as needed.